Low Income Survivors to Thrivers
NEED FOOD? Contact the USDA National Hunger Hotline by dialing 1-866-3-HUNGRY, 1-877-8-HAMBRE, or texting 914-342-7744.

General Relief (GR) Program

Program is referred to by different names in different states

SERVICE/SUPPORT TYPEGeneral Relief Program (Referred to by different names in different states)
AGENCYYour County’s Social Service Agency (*if service is available in your state)
COSTFinancial Assistance/Loan for those who are eligible for funds *For those who have no income, or who are low-income and who have children, see the section on TANF for income available for specific low-income families who have children.
ELIGIBILITY SUMMARYFinancial Assistance for those Who are Indigent with No Children See Center on Budget and Policy and Priorities’ map of State General Assistance Programs in 2020 for state-wide programs by eligibility requirements
State General Assistance Programs in 2020
WEB LINKFind your County’s Social Service Agency office – Locate Your State Dept. of Social Services
APPLICATIONApply for Public Assistance Programs at Your County’s Social Service Agency
ADDITIONAL INFODetermine if your state offers a General Assistance program, which may be titled something different in your state. The qualifications and payment amounts vary by state and county region. General Assistance Programs, which operate in a number of states, don’t receive federal dollars, and program minimum and maximum disbursement amounts vary by state and county. Often, those who apply for disability income and have a waiting period for approval or denial of income, access General Assistance funds while SSI/SSDI applications are waiting for approval. The funds are for indigent people without children. Determine if your state participates in the General Assistance Program, what the minimum and maximum allotments are, and see the summary of program eligibility by finding your state on the map created by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.

U.S. Department of the Interior Indian Affairs-Direct Assistance Financial Assistance and Social Services: Direct Assistance (Financial Assistance and Social Services) (FASS) U.S. Department of the Interior – Indian Affairs “FASS consists of direct funding and activities related to financial assistance, including general assistance, child assistance, burial assistance, emergency assistance, and adult care assistance; social services, including services to children, the elderly and families, child and adult protection services.

“This program provides assistance to American Indians and Alaska Natives who have no access to Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), do not meet eligibility criteria for TANF, or have exceeded the lifetime limit for TANF services. The services under this section are designed to be secondary in nature.”

Applicants can apply for assistance at the nearest BIA-operated or tribal social service provider. To obtain information on how to find a provider in your area, please contact the nearest BIA regional office. Screening questions to help determine eligibility for services:
Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) Financial Assistance and Social Services | Benefits.gov

Please click to share!

Scroll to Top
Skip to content